Here we are!

Here we are!
Happy little family

This is reality

This is reality

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Feeling a little better

thank goodness! and highlight of the day was Girl Scout cookie delivery!! woohoo! Thin Mints and a cup of tea, that will get my appetite going! I'm hoping that I feel even better Wednesday, it would be nice to have a really good day before the Sirsphere adventure.

As far as my weight loss, I had to laugh, I had quit Weight Watchers for obvious reasons, duh, but now am almost at my goal weight. What comes in the mail today but a thing from WW on tips for weight loss, and a special to get me to rejoin. Uh, I don't think so. I don't want to lose any more weight, so I am hoping the Megace will do the trick. The toughest thing for me is not being able to drink cold fluids, I never thought that would affect my appetite so much, but it does. One of the side effects of the oxaliplatin is extreme sensitivity to cold, including my lips and tongue going into spasm and the feeling that I am swallowing a brillo pad. Not very appetizing for sure. So the week before the next dose of chemo is when I really load up on my cold stuff, Greaters Double Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, ice water, my needs are simple! Then it starts over again. So, a three week cycle goes something like this. Week one, feel like crap, can't eat, nauseated, diarrhea, nothing cold, can't breathe or touch anything cold. Week two, feel a little better, nothing cold to eat or drink, and just have to be cautious with the exposure to cold. If I breathe cold air through my nose I go into fits of violent sneezing which really HURTS, and if I breathe cold air through my mouth I feel like my throat is closing up. Very pleasant. Week Three is when I feel the most normal, finally some energy.

Stamina is what I am lacking for sure. I used to be full of energy, walk 5 miles with the dogs, blah blah blah. Now I am out of breath just walking up the stairs from the garage, and I'm not running up those stairs for sure. The fatigue and lack of stamina is often when I realize that I am truly sick, because it is so permanent. Nausea I can deal with, there are pills. But I don't think I will ever get the energy back, so I just have to face it.

I started this post on a positive note and I will end it so as well. I am feeling MUCH better today and will feel better tomorrow. I still have my sense of humor and plan on keeping it. I can't wait for the weather to get warmer so I can at least sit outside on the deck and enjoy the sunshine. I think we're all a little tired of winter! Baseball season is coming soon and I can't wait until I can get out there and watch Luis pitch again. Did I mention he is a great little pitcher? At least this proud mom thinks so!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Barb,
Great to hear you are feeling a little better. Me and AC have been keeping you in our prayers. That Greaters double choc. will make anyone feel better (fat too). I've got proof. You are such a great mom and I'm so glad you and Luis found each other. And yes that boy is a wonderful pitcher. BTW--Alex gives me the same attitude. Just wanted u to know I've been thinking about you. I wish you health and happiness and many good good good days.(and energy!!) you certainly deserve it. If I can help in any way please let me know. God Bless! Renee' Huckleberry